All you need to know about Uganda self drive
UGANDA SELF DRIVE
To begin with, self drive refers to a hired vehicle that is driven by a person who hires the vehicle rather than a professional driver. Are you planning to have a self-drive safari in Uganda? Look no further than Self Drives Uganda, you will definitely get what you are looking for.
Is Uganda safe for self drive?
Yes, Uganda is safe for self drive. In fact, it is known to be one of the safest countries for drivers in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Self drive safaris/adventures
For wildlife lovers, there the Big 5 animals, primates, mammals and birds in the country’s national parks. You can therefore get to see them (even at close view) in the comfort of your car rental.
On the other hand, lovers of cultures have country homes, communities, and villages (untouched by modernity) to view and visit. Additionally, there are stretches of road that pass sweeping plantations and over the gorgeous mountains for those who love driving through the open countryside.
The road network in Uganda
By East African standards, Uganda’s major roads are generally in good condition. Surfaced roads diverge out from Kampala, running east to Jinja, Busia, Malaba, Tororo, Mbale, and Soroti, south to Entebbe, southwest to Masaka, Mbarara, and Kabale, west to Fort Portal, northwest to Hoima, north to Gulu, northeast to Gayaza and Kayunga (and on to Jinja).
Requirements for self drive in Uganda
- In order to regulate liability and insurance costs, several major car rental companies including Self Drives Uganda first look out for high-risk drivers before the beginning of the hiring process. They usually ask clients for their personal driving records.
Therefore, ensure that you have a good driving record so as to secure a vehicle for self-drive in Uganda.
- On requesting for a self drive car from a car rental company, all the drivers of the car have to be present.
- One is required to present the following documents;
–the vehicle registration book (a photocopy is acceptable; ensure it is a recent one with the most recent vehicle license entry recorded on the back page)
-the vehicle certificate of insurance (traffic offices impose heavy fines for driving an uninsured vehicle)
-a valid driving license: your domestic permit is acceptable for up to three months.
What is the cost of a car rental in Uganda?
On average a rental car in Uganda costs $2,106 per month ($70 per day).
However, this price varies from one company to another due to several factors such as the age of the car, fuel price and engine type, car type, car brand and model and the season.
Obstacles for drivers on Ugandan roads
- The main hazard/obstacle on Ugandan roads, aside from unexpected pot-holes, is other drivers/motorists. Minibus-taxi drivers, for instance, have long been known to overtake in blind corners and generally drive carelessly.
- Another major road hazard in Uganda is the giant ‘speed bump’ or hump as it’s locally known. A lethal bump might be signposted in advance, it might be painted in black-and-white stripes, or it might simply rear like a macadamized wave a full 30cm or so above the road without warning. This usually makes travelling uncomfortable.
- Other regular challenges include bicycles laden with banana clusters, which can often force traffic to leave its lane as well as livestock and pedestrians wandering around in the middle of the road. Also, there are problems of over speeding motorists, vehicles in dangerous mechanical conditions, drunken drivers, ignoring of traffic lights and so on.
Important points to check when preparing for self drive
- Check the car over carefully and ask to take it for a test drive
- Check the condition of the tires and ensure that there is at least one spare tire
- Ask for the wheel spanner, the jack and the equipment for raising it
- Find out about filling points for oil, water and petrol
- Check the keys for their respective purposes
- While on the road trip check the oil and water regularly
Self drive car hire/rentals can provide you with some of the best travelling experiences as long as you take note of all the requirements, safety precautions and other necessities.
At Self Drives Uganda, we are devoted to giving you the very best service to ensure a comfortable and memorable self drive car hire experience for you and your loved ones.